Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why Wyoming is Wonderful: The Hathaway Scholarship

Hi everyone, my name is Ray and I am the WyCAC advisor at Rawlins High School. I am originally from the beautiful town of Powell, WY and I have always taken great pride in being from Wyoming. During my time at RHS one of the most common questions that I have encountered is very Wyoming specific and that is the Hathaway scholarship. For those who may not know, the Hathaway scholarship is a scholarship program available to all WY students who graduate from a WY high school, AND have taken the correct course load, maintained the proper GPA and scored a high enough score on the ACT. I will not get into the specifics but if you have more questions visit this website http://www.hathawayscholarships.com/ The most important part of the Hathaway is planning while you are still in school. The three most important lessons I tell students who visit me are:
1. This is your responsibility, it is up to you to make sure that you will include the courses you need to get the scholarship you want.
2. Planning your own curriculum now will help you in college. In college, some advisors are not able to keep up with all of their students needs pertaining to their degree progress, if you keep track of your own classes it will help you get your degree faster!
3. Do not aim for the bottom tier of the scholarship, aim for the highest scholarship and you may just surprise yourself and get it!
The Hathaway scholarship program is an incredible opportunity to WY students that students from other states are very jealous of. So take advantage of this opportunity, use it to its full extent and make your college dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment